Monthly Archives: February 2012

Non-minor dependents’ eligibility to receive foster care payment directly

Q: Can a youth participating in extended foster care receive the foster care benefits directly?

A: A youth living in a Supervised Independent Living placement may receive the payment directly. It is not guaranteed. If the young adult is receiving the payment directly it needs to be documented in the Transitional Independent Living Plan (TILP).

NMDs all other types of placements (like group homes, THP‐ Plus Foster Care, or a foster family home) do not receive the benefit directly, but a provider may agree to give part of the benefit to the NMD to manage in order to help the NMD to develop financial skills and greater levels of responsibility. All County Letter 11‐69; All County Letter 11‐77

Tagged , , ,

Kin-GAP benefits eligibility when residing outside of guardian’s home

Q: I have a question from a youth who will soon be 18 years old and is currently in a Kin-GAP placement with her grandma.  The young person wants to know if she can live on her own and still be qualified for extended foster care benefits after she turns age 18.

 A: The young person may continue to receive Kin-GAP benefits if the negotiated Kin-GAP payments commenced when the youth was 16 or older. If that is the case, the guardian may receive the KinGAP benefits if he or she is providing support to the youth (even if the youth is living outside of the guardian’s home). The benefits may only be paid to the guardian, her grandmother.   KinGAP payments can never be made to the youth directly.

Payments to caretaker vs. youth

Q: Does all of the extended foster care payment go to the caretaker or can the youth get some of the payment for living expenses? Is there a requirement to give some to the NMD?

A: Pursuant to Assembly Bill 212, the foster care payment has to go directly to one person. The only placement that the payment can go to youth directly is in a Supervised Independent Living Payment (SILP).  However, a youth and his/her caregiver can (and should) discuss how much of the payment made to the caregiver will be provided to the youth for expenses.  The Shared Living Agreement, available as an attachment to ACL 11-69, is a tool developed by CDSS that will assist caregivers and youth in setting forth their shared understanding of this, and many other aspects, of shared daily living.   You can download the ACL and review the Shared Living Agreement (Attachment B to the ACL) by following this LINK.

Out-of-state placements and eligibility for extended foster care

AB 12 Question of the Week

Q: How does extended foster care work for a non-minor dependent who chooses to go to school out of state?

A: Out-of-state placements are allowed for non-minor dependents meeting one of the five participation conditions as long as s/he lives in an appropriate placement. Being enrolled in an institution which provides post-secondary or vocational education meets one of the five participation conditions. If a non-minor dependent moves out of state, the case manager must still comply with the monthly visits, as specified on page 16-17 in All County Letter 11-69.