Kin-GAP benefits eligibility when residing outside of guardian’s home

Q: I have a question from a youth who will soon be 18 years old and is currently in a Kin-GAP placement with her grandma.  The young person wants to know if she can live on her own and still be qualified for extended foster care benefits after she turns age 18.

 A: The young person may continue to receive Kin-GAP benefits if the negotiated Kin-GAP payments commenced when the youth was 16 or older. If that is the case, the guardian may receive the KinGAP benefits if he or she is providing support to the youth (even if the youth is living outside of the guardian’s home). The benefits may only be paid to the guardian, her grandmother.   KinGAP payments can never be made to the youth directly.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: