Placement options for non-minor dependents

Q:  If a youth over 18 remains in foster care but doesn’t qualify under the eligibility framework laid out in AB12 (for example, the youth turned 19 in 2011 but the case was kept open and paid by all county funds), does that youth have the same placement options as a youth who meets the criteria under AB12?

A:  Yes, any youth who remains in the foster care system with an order for out of home placement after the age of 18 has the same placement options.  If the youth does not meet the eligibility requirements outlined in AB12, the county cannot request federal reimbursement for costs, but the use of “all county funds” does not impact what placement options are available. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: