Monthly Archives: July 2012

Youth in guardianships: eligibility for extended benefits

Q: I’ve heard that youth in guardianships are only eligible for extended benefits if the guardianship began after the age of 16.  Is this true?

A: It depends on the type of guardianship.  Youth in non-related legal guardianships created in juvenile court are eligible for extended benefits up to age 21 regardless of the age that the youth entered the guardianship.  Youth in non-related legal guardianship’s created in probate court are not eligible for extended benefits at all.  Youth in guardianship through the Kin-GAP program must have entered Kin-GAP at age 16 or older in order to be eligible for extended benefits.  However, if a youth in Kin-GAP has a disability which warrants the continuation of benefits, benefits may be extended regardless of the age the youth entered Kin-GAP.

Parenting non-minor dependents: receipt of infant supplement payment

Q:  If a parenting non-minor dependent is entitled to the infant supplement because she is caring for a child, does the additional payment go directly to her for the costs associated with the child?

A:  The infant supplement is included with the regular foster care payment and therefore will go to whomever receives the payment.  If the youth is in a Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP) and receives the foster care payment directly, she would also receive the infant supplement directly.  If she resides with a caregiver who receives the foster care payment, the infant supplement would go to the caregiver.  In this circumstance, the youth and caregiver could use a shared living agreement to assist them to negotiate how the funds can be best utilized.

Non-minor dependents on overnight visits

Q:  When a dependent minor wants to have overnight visits away from the caregiver’s home, the county ordinarily does background checks, checks out the home, etc before giving the ok.  Does any of this apply in the case of non-minor dependent?

 A:  There is no longer any requirement to do background checks in this circumstance.  On a practice level, case managers should be encouraging non-minor dependents to inform their caregiver about their whereabouts and when they are expected to return as part of being a responsible adult.

Non-minor dependents sharing rooms with minors

Q:  If a youth who has exited foster care re-enters as a non-minor dependent (NMD) and is placed with a Foster Family Agency, can the youth share a room with a minor who has been placed in the same home? 

A:  Community Care Licensing regulations allow for a non-minor and a minor to share a room only under three circumstances. First, if the nonminor dependent and the child have been sharing a bedroom prior to the nonminor dependent turning age 18 and remain compatible to share a bedroom the arrangement can continue.  Second, they can also share a room if the child and NMD are siblings or if the NMD is sharing a room with his/her own child.  Third, if the youth is re-entering and the FFA would like the youth to be able to share a room with an unrelated minor, the FFA could do so by requesting a Documented Alternative Plan (DAP), which is basically the same as an exception.  It would then be up to the Licensing Program Analyst with Community Care Licensing to allow the exception or not.