Monthly Archives: August 2012

Job Corps housing qualifies as a Supervised Independent Living Placement

Q:  If a youth is planning to participate in a Job Corps program which provides housing, can this be an eligible foster care placement for a non-minor dependent (NMD)?

A:  Yes, housing provided through a Job Corps program can be qualified as a Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP).  The NMD would need to undergo the readiness assessment and the housing would need to pass the health and safety inspection as with any other SILP site.

(Note:  This question is not directly in an ACL although ACL 11-77 states that “Counties have significant discretion for what can constitute a SILP placement. The federal guidance allows for maximum flexibility for SILPs, while still ensuring the placement is safe for NMDs.”  CDSS has confirmed that Job Corps qualifies as a SILP.)

Family reunification services and eligibility for extended foster care

Q:  If a youth is in a foster care placement when s/he turns 18 and has been receiving reunification services, is s/he still eligible for extended foster care benefits?

A:  Yes. As long as s/he has an order for out of home placement when s/he turns 18 and meets the eligibility for extended benefits, the fact that s/he has a reunification plan instead of a planned permanent living arrangement does not impact his/her eligibility for extended foster care.  If it is in the best interest of the youth and his/her life-long permanency needs  –  reunification services may still be offered and would be part of the Case Plan with the non-minor dependent “opting out” of foster care if s/he is able to return home and chooses to do so.

(Note:  Reference is ACL 11-69, page 4)

Qualification for infant supplement and other assistance


Q:  Is a non-minor dependent (NMD) eligible for the infant supplement while pregnant, or do they qualify only when their child is born?

A:  The infant supplement Is not available during pregnancy and begins when the child is born (WIC 11465). However, the NMD may be eligible for food stamps and/or the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) which provides benefits that allows pregnant women (as well as those with young children) to obtain nutritious food.

(Note:  Reference is WIC 11465)

SILP eligibility: non-minor dependents receiving CalWORKs benefits

Q:  I am working with a youth who is eligible for extended foster care, is currently placed with a relative, does not qualify for Federal IV-E benefits and therefore is receiving the foster care benefit through CalWORKs.  Is this youth allowed to move to a Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP)?

A:  Yes. Foster youth who do not meet federal eligibility requirements and are placed with an approved relative receiving CalWORKS benefits are considered dependents in foster care, and are therefore they are eligible for all placement options including moving into a SILP.  Once the non-minor dependent (NMD) moves to an approved SILP, the NMD would be in the “State Foster Care” program.  If dependency was terminated prior to the NMD leaving the home of the relative, the young adult would have to re-enter foster care to be eligible. The young adult may then be federally eligible as a Child-Only eligibility determination. For re-entry cases, the IV-E eligibility is based solely on the young adult’s income and assets.

For more information about this issue, visit the CDSS website at