Paying for a security deposit in a Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP)

Q: I am currently a NMD and I want to move into an apartment with my sister which my social worker says is called a SILP placement.  Can I get extra money to pay for the security deposit?

A: A NMD living in an approved Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP) receives the basic foster care rate, which is currently $799 per month (the rate goes up annually on July 1).  It is important to note that foster care payments, including for NMDs living in a SILP, are paid in arrears, which means it is paid at the end of the month following the month that the NMD is placed in the SILP.  For a NMD that is placed in a SILP in the middle of the month, this can mean that there is a delay of up to six weeks before the first check is received.  There are no other dedicated funds or supplements available to the NMD to cover expenses like a security deposit or first and last month’s rent.  Thus, it is essential that a NMD have sufficient funds to pay for a security deposit as well as any other living expenses during the period between initial placement in a SILP and the time that the first monthly payment is received.  If the NMD does not have any savings, then the NMD’s TILP should be updated to develop a plan for the NMD to save funds in order to pay for the security deposit as well as other living expenses.  (Reference: All County Letter 11-77and 11-69; Welf. & Inst. Code § 11400(y)).

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: