Monthly Archives: June 2013

Extended Foster Care and Job Corps Eligibility

Q: I am the social worker for a 19 year-old non-minor dependent who is interested in participating in Job Corps. Is he able to participate in Job Corp and continue to be in extended foster care? If so, would it be possible for him to choose a Job Corp Center in another state and remain in extended foster care?

A: The non-minor dependent may participate in Job Corp while in extended foster care, provided that he meets all of the other eligibility requirements. According to the California Department of Social Services, Job Corps qualifies as an eligible placement as a Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP). Further, “housing accommodations provided by Job Corps are not considered earned or “in-kind” income; therefore, this is allowable and does not affect the NMD’s eligibility for AFDC-FC benefits. Job Corps housing is exempted from the SOC 157B housing inspection checklist that is required to approve a SILP.”

As for participating in Job Corps in another state, the young person may do so and continue to participate in extended foster care. The county of jurisdiction would need to make arrangements monthly visits.

Source: ACIN I-29-13, ACL 11-69

The Effect of Placing a Ward on Release Status on AB 12 Services

Q: I am a probation officer and am working with a 17 year-old ward who is scheduled to go to court next month. He currently has a placement order and is living with his aunt. He is making good progress and I expect that the judge will remove the placement order and put him on “release status.” If this occurs, how will it affect his eligibility for extended services to age 21, under Assembly Bill 12?

A: If the judge puts the youth on release status and removes the placement order, the youth will not be eligible for extended support services when he turns 18 years-old. In order to be eligible for extended services to age 21, under Assembly Bill 12, the youth must have an order for foster care placement on his/her 18th birthday. In this particular instance, if the judge maintained the placement order with the aunt, the youth could have probation dismissed at age 17.5 or later, and become a transition dependent under WIC 450. As a transition dependent, the youth would be eligible for AB 12 related benefits, including housing, continued funding, and extended Medi-Cal.

Source: Welf. & Inst. Code §11403(b)

Q: I am working with a youth who wants to re-enter foster care. She is currently living in Los Angeles, but her foster care case was in Fresno County. Should she contact her original social worker in Fresno to file the necessary paper work or can she do it in Los Angeles? Also, will she have to travel back to Fresno for a court hearing either way?

A: The young person can make initial contact to re-enter foster care with either county. Whether or not Los Angeles County will assist the youth with the completion of the paperwork is based on whether or not the two counties have an arrangement for “courtesy supervision.” Most counties offer courtesy supervision to non-contiguous counties. For a full list of counties that do and do not offer courtesy supervision, follow this LINK.

If the two counties have this arrangement, the county of residence (in this case Los Angeles County), will assist the youth with completion of the all necessary forms and then fax or scan and email the forms that same day to the county of jurisdiction (in this case Frenso County).

If the two counties do not have an arrangement for “courtesy supervision” the youth may still contact the county child welfare agency where she resides. The county of residence must immediately assist the youth in determining the county of jurisdiction and allow the youth to phone the point of contact in the county of jurisdiction in order to begin the re-entry application process. The county of residence must also provide blank copies the necessary forms to the youth.

As for traveling back to Fresno County for court, a hearing will be held to review the 388(e) petition, which is a requirement of the re-entry process. The youth may elect to attend the court hearing in person, telephonically or elect to not attend the hearing.

SOURCE: CDSS All County Letter 12-12

Re-Entering Foster Care: Paperwork Done in County of Residence or Jurisdiction?

THP-Plus Foster Care: Infant Supplement Payment

Q: I work for an organization that recently received its license for THP-Plus Foster Care (THP+FC). My questions: are custodial parents placed in THP+FC eligible for an infant supplement? If so, do they receive it directly or is it included in the rate payment to our organizations? Finally, if they are eligible for the infant supplement, does a youth receive one infant supplement regardless of how many children they have or one infant supplement for each child?

A: Yes; a non-minor dependent placed in THP+FC is eligible to receive an infant supplement of $411 per month for the nondependent child residing with the non-minor, which is paid to the provider. Some or all of this payment may be passed through to the non-minor dependent to help pay for child-related expenses. If a non-minor dependent is the custodial parent to more than one child, an infant supplement is provided for each child.

Source: All County Letter 11-69