Monthly Archives: August 2014

Infant Supplement Eligibility for Custodial Foster Youth Fathers

Q: I am with a THP+FC provider and we have a young man in the program, who will soon become a young father. He intends to have shared physical custody of his child. Is he eligible to receive the infant supplement? If so, does it need to be pro-rated? Also, what kind of documentation is required?


A: According to CDSS, yes, this young father is eligible for the infant supplement, provided he has shared physical custody. This is an issue that has been raised with the department by counties; CDSS has advised that any parent with shared custody is eligible for the infant supplement, not just the mother.

According to CDSS, counties that have addressed this issued have not pro-rated rate the infant supplement based on the proportion of time the child lives with the parent, but instead provided the full $411. As for documentation, the Non-Minor Dependent’s (NMDs) status as a parent and the custody arrangement should be documented in his or her case file.


Q: I am working with a foster youth who is about to enter 9th grade and is hoping to attend a 4-year university after high school. What does she need to know now to make sure she is able to qualify for entrance to a 4-year university?

A: There are certain classes that she must take and pass in high school, known as the “A-G” classes in order to qualify for admission to a public 4-year university in California. Her overall high school GPA and college entrance test scores (i.e. SAT or ACT) will also determine her options for college admission. Information on planning for California State University admission can be found here and University of California admission requirements can be found here. California College Pathways also offers a college planning guide specifically for foster youth on our website.