Monthly Archives: October 2014

Responsible Parenting Plans and Supplementary Payments for NMDs with Partial Child Custody

Q: I learned that AB 2668 was signed by the Governor, which will offer additional funding for parenting Non-Minor Dependents (NMD) living in a Supervised Independent Living Placement who enter into a Responsible Parenting Plan. Is the NMD eligible to receive this supplementary payment if he or she has partial custody of the child?

A: Yes, the new law specifies that the child must be in the full or partial custody of the non-minor parent.

Source: WIC § 16501.26

Finding Campus Support for Foster Youth

Q: I am a high school senior getting ready to apply for college next year at a Cal State University. How can I find out about any special services for foster youth at the campuses I’m thinking about applying to?

A: The California College Pathways website has an online database with information about all campus-based foster youth support programs in the state. You can look up campuses by region, type of institution, or by a specific campus name and find out about the services that are offered, and get contact information and links to the program’s website.

Re-Entering Foster Care from Guardianship or Adoption

Q: I am a former foster youth who left foster care at age 17 when my aunt became my legal guardian. I am now 19 years-old and she is no longer providing me any financial support. It is possible for me to re-enter foster care?

A: Yes, Governor Brown recently signed Assembly Bill 2454 which will authorize a non-minor who has exited foster care to guardianship OR adoption to petition the court to resume dependency jurisdiction if the following conditions are met:

  1. the non-minor was under juvenile court jurisdiction when the guardianship was established or the adoption was finalized;
  2. the non-minor has to have received benefits after age 18;
  3. the non-minor’s former guardian or adoptive parents have died or are no longer providing ongoing support to the non-minor and are no longer receive payment on behalf of the nonminor;
  4. the non-minor is under age 21;
  5. the court determines that it is in the nonminor’s best interest for the court to assume dependency jurisdiction;
  6. The non-minor agrees to satisfy all other requirements of extended foster care.

The bill will be effective January 1, 2015.

Source: Welfare & Institutions Code § 388.1

Tagged , , , , ,

NMDs with Prescriptions for Antipsychotic Medication

Q: I am an ITFC Support Counselor for an AB-12 youth. If the Non-Minor Dependent (NMD) was prescribed antipsychotic medication and has a current JV-220 does the JV-220 need to be updated every 6-months as per usual? At any point can the NMD contest the use of anti-psychotic medication?

A: No, the JV-220 does not need to be updated because an NMD may consent to their own medical care unless there is a court order to the contrary.  Yes, the NMD may contest the use of anti-psychotic medication. As a legal adult, a NMD’s decision-making authority includes consenting to receive treatment or take psychotropic medication(s) and privacy regarding his or her psychiatric condition.