Monthly Archives: January 2015

Proof of Foster Care Status for Financial Aid

Q: I am a former foster youth, age 23. I have been working for the last couple years, but want to return to school in the fall. To get financial aid, I know I will need to get proof of my status as a former foster youth at some time down the road. I now live in a different county and don’t have the contact for my social worker. Who should I contact to get this verification?

A: To get your verification of foster care status you should contact your former county social worker OR the the coordinator of your Independent Living Skills Program (ILP). For an up-to-date list of ILP contacts, follow this LINK. Make sure to request the verification in advance to ensure you receive the information by the time it is needed.

This verification is NOT required at the time you complete the  FAFSA.  It is also not required to apply for the $5,000 Chaffee Education and Training Voucher because your foster care status is verified for this program  through data matching between the California Department of Social Services and the California Student Aid Commission once you have applied.

Proof of your foster care status may be required to be eligible for certain financial aid and student support programs, including priority registration. It is a good practice to request this important information, so that you can have this documentation when you need it.


Q: If a youth is exits foster care to kinship guardianship (Kin-GAP) and the court orders their dependency case closed, is the youth still eligible to claim independent student status on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?

A: A youth who exited foster care to a KinGAP guardianship prior to the age of 13 would not answer yes to question #53 (being in foster care) but they would still be able to claim independent status by answering yes to question #55 (are you or were you in legal guardianship) if the guardianship remained in place until they turned 18 or is still in effect if they are a minor. A youth who exited foster care to a KinGAP guardianship after the age of 13 would answer yes to both question #53 and question #55 (if the guardianship remained in place until they turned 18 or is still in effect if they are a minor.)

Sharing a Room in THP+FC

Q: I work for a THP+FC provider. We have a young woman who would like to share her bedroom with her boyfriend, who is the father of her child. He is not in extended foster care or in THP-Plus. Is this allowable?

A: No, it is not allowable. A Non-Minor Dependent (NMD) may share an apartment or house with her another adult, provided the adult is has had a background check and been fingerprinted, but may not share a bedroom with another person unless that person is a NMD or participating in THP-Plus.

Concerns about this policy have been  raised with Community Care Licensing and a work group has been convened to revisit it, along with a number of other THP+FC regulations. However, this is current policy.

Source: Health and Safety Code 1559.110; THPP Regulations 86087(b) and Interim Licensing Standards 86187(c)(5)

Fingerprinting Requirement for Roommate of THP+FC Participant & Leasing Requirements

Q: We are seeking clarification about THP+FC.  We have a youth who worked with his THP+FC program to locate an apartment for himself.  The THP+FC program subsequently terminated him because his roommate did not pass a criminal background (DUI and an altercation).   Do THP+FC roommates (not an NMD or Dependent) need to be fingerprinted to reside with an NMD?

A; Yes, any individual (not an NMD or Dependent) living with the Non-Minor Dependents in THP+FC is required to be fingerprinted subject to a background clearance. This includes a THP-Plus participant who is participating in a program that provides both THP-Plus and THP+FC.

However, the failure of the roommate to pass the background check is not grounds to terminate the THP+FC participant. Additionally, THP+FC providers are required to own or directly lease the property in which the NMD lives.

In THP+FC, youth are not required to locate an apartment for themselves. This is the responsibility of the THP+FC program. This requirement is intended to protect against a number of circumstances, including the one you describe, where a youth is inappropriately discharged from the program.

Source: California Health and Safety Code 1559.110 &  THPP Regulation 86001