Filing FAFSA Without Tax Information Available

Q:  The FAFSA indicates that I should use my 2014 tax information to complete the income section but I haven’t filed my tax return for 2014 yet.  Can I still file the FAFSA?

A:  Yes.  If you haven’t done your taxes by the time you fill out your FAFSA, it’s okay to estimate the amounts. You might want to base your estimates on last year’s tax return. If your income changed drastically since last year’s tax return, you may click on “Income Estimator” on the FAFSA page that asks for income information. The Income Estimator will help you estimate adjusted gross income (AGI). After you file your taxes, you’ll need to log back in to the FAFSA and must correct any estimated information that was wrong. It is important to submit the FAFSA prior to the March 2 CalGrant deadline and so you shouldn’t wait until you have your tax information if that means you will miss this deadline.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: