Monthly Archives: April 2015

Social Worker Credentials for THP+FC

Q: I am a THP+FC provider and I am having a very hard time hiring a social worker with a Master’s degree for our program. I understand this is a requirement of the program in regulation. Is there any way to get an exception from the county child welfare agency or Community Care Licensing?

A: Yes, a licensed THP+FC provider may apply to the Community Care Licensing for an exception if all of the following exist:

  1. A supervisor who meets the requirements supervises the individual;
  2. The person has completed the coursework and field practice or experience requirements specified in regulations.
  3. The person has at least a Baccalaureate Degree in a human services or a behavioral science from an accredited school.

Source: THPP 86065.3

Financial Aid Options for Youth Going to College Out of State

Q: I am working with a foster youth considering going out of state for college. Are they eligible for the same financial aid benefits as a student going to school in California?

A: It depends on the particular benefit. Pell grants are a federal program and are available regardless of the state where the student is attending school. CalGrants are a state funded program and are available only to California residents who attend a qualifying California college. Chafee grants, which are available only to qualifying foster youth, can be used to attend qualified schools outside of California. Individual colleges and universities may have other local financial aid options and scholarships available and applicants should talk with a financial aid counselor at the campus to ensure they are taking advantage of all available aid.