Calculating THP+FC Rate if an NMD Receives Tribal Benefits

Q. I am a THP+FC provider and one of my program participants is a Native American Non-Minor Dependent (NMD) who receives tribal benefits. Are these benefits considered income that must be deducted from the state’s payment to the provider?

A: According to the California Department of Social Services, most tribal benefits are exempt from being considered income. This mean they should not be deducted from the payment to the provider since the provider cannot collect these benefits from the youth. However, there are some unique cases in which tribal income could be considered income that the provider could collect from the youth. It is recommended that tribal benefits be assessed by Foster Care Analysis and Rates Bureau at to determine if they should be counted as income and deducted from the providers’ payment or not.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: