NMD Applying for the Earned Income Tax Credit

Q: I’m a 20 year-old non-minor dependent with a 2 year-old child. I’m filing my taxes and heard that I should apply for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). Can I apply for the EITC as well as my child’s father, or just one of us?

A: Because you are filing your taxes separately from the father of your child, only one of you is allowed to claim your child when filing the Earned Income Tax Credit.

If you cannot agree who will claim the child for the purposes of the EITC, the IRS has establihsed a set of rules to make that determination.

Citation: Internal Revenue Service, https://www.irs.gov/Credits-&-Deductions/Individuals/Earned-Income-Tax-Credit/Qualifying-Child-of-More-Than-One-Person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: