THP-Plus Extension for “Out of County” Youth

Q: I’m attending college in a different county than I grew up in and exited foster care from. I’m participating in a THP-Plus program here in the county where I’m attending college. The county I exited care from did not opt into the THP-Plus extension established by Senate Bill 1252, however the county I currently reside in did opt in. Can I access the additional 12 months of THP-Plus here?

A: Yes, you can access the additional 12 months of THP-Plus if you are otherwise eligible (a current student and exited foster care on or after your 18th birthday). SB 1252 amends WIC section 11403.2 to allow each county, at its option, to extend THP-Plus services to former foster youth up to, but not including, age 25 and for up to 36 cumulative months for youth completing secondary education, or an equivalent program, or be enrolled in an institution that provides post-secondary education. If a county elects to implement this provision, it is applicable to all youth in the program. It cannot be applied on a case-by-case basis.

Citation: All County Information Notice I-40-15 (May 27, 2015)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: