Trying to develop Parenting Support Plan, but social worker not available

Q: I’m a parenting youth participating in extended foster care and residing in a Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP). I heard about the support for parenting non-minor dependents (NMDs) in SILPs established by Assembly Bill 2668. I have an adult mentor in place and would like to complete my Parenting Support Plan (PSP) and start receiving the additional $200, but I haven’t been able to get the three of us together to develop my PSP. I really need this financial support now. Is there a way I can get the ball rolling?

A: As of July 1, 2015, AB 2668 went into effect and counties were required to start implementing it.[1] The plan should be developed between the parenting NMD, the identified responsible adult and the social worker or probation officer[2] (in addition to any other individuals identified by the NMD parent).

The law[3] says that the PSP shall be developed as soon as practically possible. It further clarifies that if any of the additional interested participants are not available to provide input in the development of the PSP within the first 30 days of the NMD parent’s request to enter into a plan, the NMD parent and the adult mentor may enter into a PSP for the purposes of fulfilling the requirements of the statute, subject to the approval of the plan by the social worker or probation officer. The PSP may be modified at a later date when the other participants are available. This should help you get the ball rolling so that you can get the PSP completed and submitted to your social worker for approval.

It’s important to keep in mind that the adult mentor must be at least 21 years of age, and undergo a criminal records check and Child Abuse Central Index Check. For additional information about eligible adult mentors and more, refer to All County Letters 15-67 and 16-50.

Citation: All County Letter 15-67 (September 3, 2015), All County Letter 16-50 (June 1, 2016)

[1] WIC section 16501.26(d)

[2] WIC section 16501.26(b)

[3] WIC section 16501.26(b)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: