Tag Archives: Re-entry

Updated AB 12 Re-Entry Contact List

Q: I was previously in foster care, then exited last year when I was 18. I would like to re-enter extended foster care but I don’t have my former social worker’s contact information and I don’t know who to contact at the county. Who do I contact?

A: You should use this AB 12 re-entry contact list, which was just updated in May 2019: https://www.jbaforyouth.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/CWDA-AB-12-Re-Entry-Contact-list-05-20-19.pdf. Scroll down to find your county and there will be a phone number and email address to contact.

To re-enter extended foster care, you must be under age 21, and sign a voluntary re-entry agreement (SOC 163), which provides the county with the authority for placement for 180 days. Once this is signed, foster care benefits begin the date the agreement is signed or the date that you are placed in a qualified placement, whichever is later. You must agree to satisfy one of the five participation conditions of extended foster care – which is indicated by your signing the SOC 163 – then continue to satisfy that requirement pending completion of the Transitional Independent Living Plan (TILP) that documents your continuing participation.

For more information on extended foster care, visit the California Fostering Connections to Success Act section of the JBAY website: http://www.jbaforyouth.org/ca-fostering-connections/.


Welfare & Institutions Code section 388(e)

California Department of Social Services, All County Letter 12-12 (March 23, 2012)


Eligible placements for AB 2464 re-entries

Q: I’m working with an 18 year old in guardianship who is no longer being provided support by their guardian, and is without a place to live. She has asked if she can access a Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP).

Is there a way for this youth to re-enter foster care and access a SILP, and will she be eligible to receive her foster care payment directly as her own payee?

A: If this youth’s guardian is no longer providing ongoing support to her and she successfully re-enters Extended Foster Care through the process established by Assembly Bill 2454 (more information about this process in a previous Q of the W), then she would be eligible for the placement options available to non-minor dependents, including the Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP).

To access a SILP, she would have to pass a SILP Readiness Assessment and her housing would have to pass a Health & Safety Inspection. Youth placed in SILPs are eligible to receive their foster care payment directly.

Citation: Assembly Bill 2454 (2014), All County Information Notice I-17-15 (October 20, 2015), All County Letter 11-69 (October 13, 2011), All County Letter 11-77 (November 18, 2011)

Tagged , , , , , , ,