Monthly Archives: June 2014

California Residency for NMD Who Was Placed Out of State

Q: We have a youth in our county that has been placed out of state for the past 2 years. He has now returned to CA and is under AB 12. He is trying to enroll in a California community college. The admission office is saying that he will have to apply as a non-resident. He has been a California court dependent during this time. Can he still qualify as a California resident even though he did not reside in California for the past 2 years?


A: Yes, the youth may be able to qualify as a California resident.

California Education Code Section 68085 provides that “A student who currently resides in California and is 19 years of age or under at the time of enrollment, who is currently a dependent or ward of the state through California’s child welfare system, or was served by California’s child welfare system and is no longer being served either due to emancipation or aging out of the system, may be entitled to resident classification until he or she has resided in the state the minimum time necessary to become a resident.”

It is at the option of the district to allow this exemption. Some districts may have a policy; others may address it on a case-by-case basis.  Students requesting residency reclassification may be required to complete a questionnaire or specific paperwork. The process to pursue this exception would likely begin on most campuses in the Office of Admissions and Records.

Financial Aid for Basic Skills Courses

Q: Is federal financial aid available for taking basic skills or remedial courses at a college or university?


A:  Whether federal financial aid is available for basic skills or remedial coursework is dependent on a number of different factors. According to the Department of Education Federal Student Aid Handbook, if a student is admitted into an eligible program and takes remedial coursework within that program, he can be considered a regular student, even if he is taking all remedial courses before taking any regular courses. A campus may count up to one academic year’s worth of these courses (e.g. a total of 30 semester units) in his enrollment status for federal aid. A remedial course cannot be below the educational level needed for a student to successfully pursue her program after one year in that course. Also, remedial courses must be at least at the high school level and cannot be leading to a high school diploma or equivalent. Each campus must also have a policy regarding how remedial coursework is considered for the purposes of determining Satisfactory Academic Progress to qualify for ongoing federal aid eligibility. It is recommended that students consult with the financial aid office at their institution to determine eligibility based on their specific circumstances.