Monthly Archives: April 2016

THP-Plus Extension for “Out of County” Youth

Q: I’m attending college in a different county than I grew up in and exited foster care from. I’m participating in a THP-Plus program here in the county where I’m attending college. The county I exited care from did not opt into the THP-Plus extension established by Senate Bill 1252, however the county I currently reside in did opt in. Can I access the additional 12 months of THP-Plus here?

A: Yes, you can access the additional 12 months of THP-Plus if you are otherwise eligible (a current student and exited foster care on or after your 18th birthday). SB 1252 amends WIC section 11403.2 to allow each county, at its option, to extend THP-Plus services to former foster youth up to, but not including, age 25 and for up to 36 cumulative months for youth completing secondary education, or an equivalent program, or be enrolled in an institution that provides post-secondary education. If a county elects to implement this provision, it is applicable to all youth in the program. It cannot be applied on a case-by-case basis.

Citation: All County Information Notice I-40-15 (May 27, 2015)

AB 2454 Re-entry & THP-Plus Eligibility

Q:  I’m a county social worker and have a client who exited to adoption at age 16. The adoption has subsequently failed and the young woman has re-entered foster care as a non-minor dependent at the age of 19 through AB 2454. When she exits care at age 21, will she be eligible for the THP-Plus housing program for former foster youth?

A:  Yes, those eligible for THP-Plus are former foster youth who have exited the foster care system on or after their 18th birthday. Because this young woman was in foster care after her 18th birthday, she will be eligible for THP-Plus.

Citation: Welfare and Institutions Code Section 11400-11410

NMD Applying for the Earned Income Tax Credit

Q: I’m a 20 year-old non-minor dependent with a 2 year-old child. I’m filing my taxes and heard that I should apply for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). Can I apply for the EITC as well as my child’s father, or just one of us?

A: Because you are filing your taxes separately from the father of your child, only one of you is allowed to claim your child when filing the Earned Income Tax Credit.

If you cannot agree who will claim the child for the purposes of the EITC, the IRS has establihsed a set of rules to make that determination.

Citation: Internal Revenue Service,