Monthly Archives: August 2015

Calculating THP+FC Rate if an NMD Receives Tribal Benefits

Q. I am a THP+FC provider and one of my program participants is a Native American Non-Minor Dependent (NMD) who receives tribal benefits. Are these benefits considered income that must be deducted from the state’s payment to the provider?

A: According to the California Department of Social Services, most tribal benefits are exempt from being considered income. This mean they should not be deducted from the payment to the provider since the provider cannot collect these benefits from the youth. However, there are some unique cases in which tribal income could be considered income that the provider could collect from the youth. It is recommended that tribal benefits be assessed by Foster Care Analysis and Rates Bureau at to determine if they should be counted as income and deducted from the providers’ payment or not.

Parenting Support Plans and $200 Supplement for Parenting NMDs in SILPs

Q: I understand that under AB 2668, beginning July 1, 2015, parenting Non-Minor Dependents living in a SILP are eligible to receive an additional $200 supplement if they create a parenting support plan with a responsible adult.

Since the All-County-Letter (ACL) and County Fiscal Letter (CFL) providing guidance on this has not yet been released, can parenting NMDs create their parenting support plans now and begin claiming the supplement?

A. Yes, the parenting NMD living in a SILP can enter into this plan now and will be able to retroactively claim the supplement once the CFL comes out. Until the ACL comes out with a sample template parenting support plan, NMDs and their social workers can refer to the shared responsibility plan guidelines from ACL 06-04.

Welfare and Institutions Code §10604.6; CFL No. 96/97-47

Question of the Week: Education Series

Medi-Cal Eligibility When Attending School Out of State

Q: Does a foster youth retain eligibility for Medi-Cal if they attend an out-of-state college?

A: The California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) recently issued guidance around Medi-Cal residency requirements for students either from out-of-state who attend California schools or California residents who attend out-of-state schools.  If otherwise eligible, those students who come to California to attend school may apply for Medi-Cal (all other eligibility rules apply).  Similarly, Medi-Cal beneficiaries who leave California to attend school can continue their Medi-Cal eligibility assuming they are still otherwise eligible.   These beneficiaries may also apply for Medicaid in the state in which they attend school.